When I Grow Up I Want to Move to Mantorville, MN
by, Erin Schneider
You guys! I’ve found costuming Mecca, and it is Mantorville, MN. Who would’ve thunk this small town in Middle America would be FILLED with costuming greatness! But it is, and I had the chance to experience it at Olde Tyme Days last Saturday. (Seriously, peeps. You should have all come down. It was a BLAST.)
First of all, the town itself – it is so perfectly perfect. It looks exactly like a small town should, complete with many photo opportunities:
Mantorville boasts two antique stores, tons of cute gift shops (including the local Art Guild’s shop), a chocolate shop, and my new favorite restaurant, the Hubbell House. Expect excellent service (thanks John!) and ALL THE FOOD IN ALL THE WORLD. Trust me, you won’t leave Mantorville hungry.
But! More importantly! Mantorville has an Opera House, an active high school drama department, and their very own, totally cool, and REALLY BIG costume rental shop.
People who like to dress up + ready to wear costumes = many costuming opportunities.
There’s even a costuming salon and hat maker right there on the main drag (Hi Jane Olive!). I want to be Jane when I grow up and have my own costuming workshop in a small town, too. Man. I am so jealous right now… Moving on!
Last but not least, the best part of Mantorville is the lovely people who make it their EPIC COSTUMING home. We were greeted with such warmth and hospitality. I have to give a huge shout-out to the Olde Tyme Days planner-type people we met – Jane Olive and Melisa Ferris. Thank you for a wonderful event, and welcome to MNSoC!
- Steampunk Series Post 2: Oppan Steampunk Style – Heeeey, sexy corset!
- Steampunk Series Part 1: But I Have Nothing to Wear!
- Halloween: A Day of Rest
- [Costume] Stores, Huh, Yeah, What are They Good For?
- How to Avoid Those “Who Wore It Best” Moments: A Tutorial on Making the “Hot Pattern” Your Own
- Costume Inspiration: From Idea to Finished Garment
- More DIY Belly Dance: Ghawazee Coat
- Member Benefits: ArtisticEdition
- Special September Discount at Via’s Vintage!
- Blinded By The White: A Guide to Cleaning Your Costume Undies